PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ATC Documentary on BBC2
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2003, 20:52
fourthreethree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NigelonDraft

You seem to say that if you clear, say a climber to FL150, and an opposing descender to FL160, or even FL170, then if an RA is generated it is "false" because your clearance would separate the aircraft. True, your clearance would, but only if BOTH pilots follow your clearance. If one fails, a collision may result...
True, but there is no solution to aircraft not following and adhering to restrictions. I would not consider it to be a "false RA" if separation were infringed when the RA was issued. My problem is when RA's are given when I have a controlled situation and still nearly 2000' separation, and it is suddenly turned into an uncontrolled situation with less than 1000' separation, forcing me to turn traffic away which was previously not traffic. Its a frightening feeling sitting behind the radar and not being in control of the picture, watching aircraft getting closer and not being allowed to do anything about it because a pilot is following company policy and reacting to an RA.

For the record I am NOT anti TCAS, I can see the benefits of such a system, but I do believe the criteria for an RA should be changed, and controllers able to override an RA. Not the generally held view I know, but there ya go!