PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speed Cameras
Thread: Speed Cameras
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2003, 19:11
pondlife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it that we all think that in this area it's our right to break the law but in others its not. I just don't get it.
I would agree with anyone who says that the posted speed limits are inconsistent and some are just plain daft - but very few of us seem to be able to tell the difference.
When I'm collecting my daughter from school at school letting out time it's not 2am in the morning on the M25 but most people are still way above the 30mph limit. It's not just a few it's almost everyone. When my daughter is wobbling all over the pavement on her bicycle next to a 30mph road, people will still drive within a few feet of her at 45mph. Again, it's not just a few - it's almost everyone.
When people drive on the road that disects a playing field near my house, they'll significantly break the 30mph limit regardless of how many children are running toward the road following an escaped football. Again, not just a few - almost everyone.

Almost all of us appear to think that we're better at working out what the speed limit should be and will say how it's OK to go lots of miles per hour on the motorway at 2am (I happen to agree with that). Almost all of us appear also to be completely incapable of working out when the speed limit is actually appropriate.

Personally, I would like to see consistent and sensible speed limits everywhere and absolutely rigid enforcement of them. If us drivers were more sensible about it then none of that would be necessary but I don't think that we are. And when my daughter's life is at stake the cost of some arrogant driver getting it wrong is just too high to take lots of chances with.

What's this got to do with flying?