PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2016, 11:22
tommytailwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm more than happy to answer your question 4468.

Like the others, I do not wish to be negative and certainly don't wish to discourage anyone from applying to or accepting a position with BA. They are a very professional organisation and in many aspects a pleasure to deal with. From recruitment through joining, type rating, line training and online almost everyone has been incredibly friendly, accommodating and professional.

I cannot think of anywhere else I'd truly recommend anyone else to be rather than at BA, but like the other guys / girls who have commented above, everyone has different expectations and different things float different peoples' boats, as it were.

I see a lot less of my family now because whereas before I was doing day trips I'm now doing longhaul and am away approx 10 to 15 nights away per month if I have a month with no annual leave. Add into that around 5 to 6 nights a month of sleep lost due to night flying plus 24 hour layovers in the likes of JFK, BOS, YYZ etc and without doubt I feel more tired than I ever did in my last job. Others may not find that tiring and I don't wish to put anyone off but personally, I find it somewhat exhausting. Getting adequate rest downroute is easier for some than others.

The endless complexity of bidding and then trying to swap trips is what some call 'flexible' and offers 'control' over their life but my personal experience is that is just adds uncertainty over one's life that I didn't have before in my last job.

I gave up my command - my choice of course - and I haven't enjoyed being back in the right seat but others may find this left back to right move perfectly acceptable. For me, getting my head around some archaic SOPs has been tricky and not made easier by those in the left seat at times, but maybe that's just me. Too long at my last company probably.

LHR is a pain compared to the regional airports I've previously been based at where you can park your car and be reporting for duty within 5 mins, and delays departing and arriving are minimal whereas I am often late going into or out of LHR.

As has been alluded to, the complexity of simple tasks like needing a new tie clip is just crazy. You can order one, but it has to be picked up in a 3 day window otherwise the order is cancelled and the process has to start again. What if that 3 day window is on days off or annual leave? I'd never advocate resigning or questioning one's decision to join a company based on such a small issue but it's just an example of how things work in BA.

Ultimately I just miss my 2 or 4 sector simple days, easy car parking, my command, my previous salary, seeing my family every day, hand flying a visual into Faro or whenever one likes if appropriate, zero night flying and a simple rostering system.

If you're based abroad, say in the ME and want to come home, BA would be like a dream. If you're an FO at a LoCo carrier and fancy long haul or a long career at BA, it's the job for you. If you're stuck on turbo props and want to fly jets without forking out for a type rating, BA is a brilliant opportunity.

For me, I joined too late in my career (10+ years in) and miss my old lifestyle. Absolutely horses for courses and some will love it, some won't. All I suggest is that if you're in the left seat of a decent carrier and you're happy, think twice about coming to BA as it may well not offer you a better life. For anyone else, go for it as for most people it's probably the best career airline out there in Europe for new joiners.