PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA propose drug & alcohol testing of flight and cabin crew
Old 14th Dec 2016, 08:45
paradisefound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I see it.
Alcohol is your problem, it can be measured, so let us test.
Fatigue, which is a greater problem today, is a company rostering problem.
Firstly, it requires that the company accept that there is a problem with rostering and fatigue.
Secondly, they accept pilot reports that fatigue exists and take steps to correct the problem, and not just talk about it in CRM refreshers.
Thirdly, as there is no way to measure fatigue except the crews word, we come back to point 2.
The FTL limits are limits which should be used only as a last resort by rostering and should not be used as routine operating procedures.
However economics rules everything, so there is very less hope for things to change.
As i see it, Fatigue is a much greater problem.
Breathalyser is here to stay. I have been in companies where it was mandatory before the first flight of the day, in a company where it was not there at all and also in a company where it is randomly carried out.
I like my drinks but I don't see BA check as an issue. As a professional it is my duty to make sure that we are legal for the flight even if it means that on some day (most days with todays rostering) I am an unsocial man.
At least, where I work, a lot of pilots are submitting fatigue reports. I myself have submitted more than 3. But the rostering continues as usual, as they are in legal limits. And they would rather handle the disruptions due to fatigue and sick reports, pulling out standbys and people on off days, rather than change the rostering.
I wish the scientist and CAAs who came out with the FTL limits, fly the rosters continuously, months on end. Maybe then there is some hope that things will change.