PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reality of learning to fly and owning an aircraft
Old 14th Dec 2016, 06:59
Jonzarno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's at least 260 hours committed for the PPL/IR(R)/Night + 300 hours IR exams + 60 hours CBIR (inc briefing) is 620 hours + hour building / confidence building to reach your ultimate goal. Of dedication, perseverance, etc... It is a major undertaking and one that should be cherished! In reality this will probably be well over 1000hours of investment to reach that goal (plus travel to/from the airfield of course). Might seem little to the layman, but spread it out over 1.5 to 2 years and you'll get a very different feel.
As a single data point: It took me 186 hours flying time and 13 months to go from zero to a JAR PPL and a full FAA IR. Paradoxically, most of the 13 months was spent on the PPL because of the number of flights lost to the weather, whilst the IR took most of the flight hours. I did the IR in a concentrated period of a month in the US in my own aircraft which I bought over there and subsequently had ferried over here.

I didn't find the TK too difficult, but it did absorb a lot of time and, even though mine was an FAA IR, there was an awful lot of useless information that had to be learned.

Of course, just getting the ratings DOESN'T make you into a pilot capable of flying your family 1000 miles across Europe in bad weather! It's important to build up the level of utility you expect from the aircraft as your experience grows.

I hope this helps