PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legislation requiring tall fences at RPT aerodromes
Old 14th Dec 2016, 06:06
haydnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cessnock Airport and Airpark

Thank-you for the comments.

Our local council Cessnock, who owns and operates the aerodrome suggests they need to spend $500,000 installing tall fences to meet requirements to support an RPT airline.

In June 2015 the Crown Plaza Hunter Valley owner Jerry Schwatz discussed with Cessnock Council about operating a RPT service at Cessnock and was knocked back due to the infrastructure setup costs.
The Australian - June 26 2015

“It needs fences built around it which would cost $500,000"

"After fruitless discussions with Cessnock Council, which owns Cessnock Airport, Dr Schwartz resorted to buying his own amphibious sea plane, a Lake Sea Fury LA250, to ferry guests from Sydney’s Rose Bay to Cessnock."
Cessnock Council have been using all kinds of excuses over the past 3 years (of my involvement with them) to hinder any kinds of development at the airport, while they continue to pat themselves on the back that they are doing such a good job of managing the airport.

Mr Schwartz said four months ago he had lodged a separate DA to build a small hangar on land he owns near the airport but he was still waiting for an outcome.
In the same vein (and frustration) as Jerry Schwartz, the Cessnock Council would not accept our proposal to create an airpark (The Pokolbin Aviation Estate" on private land joining the Cessnock Airport. They have cited all kinds of requirements because "they are now a registered airport". This list included the requirement to have sealed taxiways (no legislation backs this up), controlled access (I think we can do that with an automatic gate). The council continually say they will not allow access to the airport.

I believe the Cessnock Council (yes they have a checkered past), are operating the airport in such a malicious way as they think they should be the only ones that make money from the airport. For one example this is evident in their hangar lease terms (5 years terms, you build a hangar then they take it off you). No new hangar has been built since 2008.

At the entry to the hunter valley and wine country, what a great place for an Airpark!

The council have been informed that Scone airport (and upper hunter council) seem to be able to manage access just fine, just down the road, by their neighbours properties.

I remember reading (I cant find the reference) Cessnock Council had been knocked back $5.9M from the Regional Development fund for the Cessnock airport development as they were not 'regional' enough. Cessnock council are not responsible for the airport asset as it is now, let alone another $5.9M! I wish in business, I could put my hand out for a $5.9M gift to then go out and make money!

The General Manager at Cessnock Council, Stephen Glenn said to me at an early meeting "Instead of selling the airport to Macquarie Bank, we need to do the things that they (Macquaire Bank) would do with the airport". Someone tell Stephen "if Cessnock Council were running Macquarie Bank ....."