PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maurice Kirk is in Africa
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2016, 01:03
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alas he is still in Juba expecting the receipt of spare parts in order to put a badly(?) damaged Cub back in the air,
Yes, from the single photo, I can see that the airframe is considerably damaged. Considering where it is, it is a write off.

One of the many responsibilities of a pilot is to assure that the aircraft he will fly is airworthy. There can be some "give" in this for a ferry flight for maintenance, but otherwise airworthy = conforming to it's type design, and fit and safe for flight. In addition to propeller replacement, engine inspection and landing gear repair, there is obvious primary structure damage, which will require removal of fabric to inspect and repair - that's much more than just "spare parts".

Hundreds of posts in PPRuNe will demonstrate that pilots flying unairworthy aircraft is thought of poorly by the group as a whole - this should not be viewed differently. Just because Mr. Kirk is perhaps something of a non conformist fellow should not confer upon him an exemption for doing things properly.

As I had said, if he has an emotional attachment to that Cub, and values it such that a disproportionate investment in its recovery is his choice, so be it, but that's a choice he makes. His decision to make that choice does not exempt him from doing things properly.

I have known pilots who have flown out aircraft damaged much less than that one, and the authority took a serious interest in the flight(s). Questions were asked, violations made against the pilot. Mr. Kirk knows how to conduct himself properly, there's a lot of publicity on this now, authorities are watching.....