PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2016, 18:57
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 150/14 wind may give an instantaneous tailwind of 5 kts, but in my experience, this wind is usually flicking between 120 and 180, giving tailwind even above 10 kts on Rwy 27 at times. The quoted wind (150/14) is an average, the tailwind component that precludes a Runway being nominated is the maximum not the average.
Seems to me then that the ATIS is either "150/14" or "Wind varying between 120 to 180, 14knots". Or even "Wind 150/14 knots, occasional tailwind greater than 10 knots runway 27".

G'day le Pingouin

My understanding at the time (and what I wrote) was 20 per HOUR not 20 in 30 min.

scheduling to fit within current capacity
ROFL! ASA had better pass that along to the various airlines scheduling departments.

The thing is, is that's what the whole COBT system is supposed to take care of. We shouldn't be departing on COBT and then get holding double the published traffic time. You're like a public servant again (or whatever ASA is).

The fact of the matter is, is that this deterioration of traffic into Melbourne has really only been noticeable since early November. Likewise the use of single runways in CAVOK with light and variable winds.

What do you think I can do as an individual controller?
At your job, nothing. Here on Prune, people like me will continue to question the efficiencies of what appears to have become a pretty crappy system, and we will question people who appear to defend said crappy system.

I've not flown internationally, so I can't compare how ML operates compared with other countries airports, such as Gatwick, but from my own experience of ML as little as three months ago, ML is punching well below it's weight.