PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot has his sentence increased for reckless flying
Old 13th Dec 2016, 12:47
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YPJT
Im just putting myself in the position of a member of the family of the deceased / injured. Imagine an acquaintance who happens to be a pilot says, I will take you on a a fly around the region. The pax have no concept of what is illegal, dangerous or otherwise in terms of light aircraft operation. They are putting their faith and lives in the hands of someone who should have known better.
So if a criminal conviction didn't stick for whatever reason, what would be the family's recourse through civil action?
That is noted.

I assume you saw this little bit I posted:

But if someone gets killed or seriously injured, I think you'd have to have a watertight case that you weren't negligent in order to escape some sort of criminal conviction.
So, yes. Even though the sentencing judge in this case decided on a suspended sentence, a criminal conviction was still recorded. It was also noted in the case that a civil suit was pending against the accused by the father of the deceased, despite a $300K consideration already having been paid outside of the courts.