PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast jets flown by non-military pilots. Is it safe?
Old 13th Aug 2003, 16:08
SterlingBlake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first post because I was fed up with reading some of the b*****it that is circulating.

I read the report and since the AIB couldn't reproduce the braking fault - any conclusion about what the pilot could or couldn't have done to avoid the accident is speculation. I have taken part in a few boards and I'm afraid this one, personal opinion, is not one of the finest bits of investigation.

Have you ever had a braking problem in a FJ on a short runway with an extremely inexperienced student who may or may not be taking the right actions, may or may not react correctly to your instructions, may or may not understand the emergency systems. You run out of room - v quickly.

I've had my fair share of incidents and / or student induced problems on the runway including burst tires, fractured oleos, multiple birdstrikes, high speed burner blowouts, and one engine failure at rotation - and to this day I feel I that I have only avoided a major incident with a little bit of luck. At Duxford that little bit of luck was missing.

The RAF has lost a goodly proportion of its Hawk fleet to braking problems on landing and it is so easy in the cold light of day, when reading the accident report, to think you would do better. There but for the grace...........etc.

Last edited by SterlingBlake; 14th Aug 2003 at 06:07.