PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VMCG and V1 on short fields
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2003, 16:05
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
akerosid

<<HOWEVER, due to the light takeoff weight, the aircraft would face a situation where its V1 was less than its VMCG and consequently, its fuel load was bumped up to a standard 25t, to deal with this. >>
I think you're dealing with a problem to do with your/EI's performance calcs.

In general you have 2 limiting V1s:
1. "Go V1" - the minimum speed at which the takeoff can safely proceed if you lose an engine at this speed. This is the one that must be >VMCG, or you will be off the side...
2. "Stop V1" - the maximum speed at which you can stop from - and this is the one which must be less than VEMBS (something like this!), or you'll run off the end with the remains of your brakes on fire.

For a given runway / consitions etc., there will be 1 weight where these 2 are coincident - the balanced field. At all lower weights, there will be a V1 spread. Its up to your Performance calcs which one is used - or more likely, something in the middle...

I suspect you were "given" the "Go V1", which ended up below VMCG. Your solution (add fuel) was obviously valid, but I bet the "Stop V1" was greater than Vr and you could have just gone without loading the extra fuel.... or just round up V1 to VMCG. Just the author of the performance manual did not give you these options!

NoD