PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opening Iraq's airspace
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2003, 15:53
robmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The airport is also the divisional HQ for the military southern sector, run by the British Army and well defended, the approach and departure flight paths are over flat terrain where it would be difficult (but not impossible) for an attacker to conceal themselves, and I guess some ground patrolling and aerial surveillance from coalition forces would be expected at flight arrival and departure times.

we have an office in Basra from which we are providing security services for some re-construction agencies. The level of incidents has become significantly higher as the honeymoon period comes to an end and public services appear to the Iraqis to be worse rather than better.

The CPA offices, which were renovated in Basra and were supposed to be publically accessible have closed and all CPA staff have moved in to the British Brigade HQ at Saddams Palace where they can be adequately protected from bomb/sniper/riot threats, but at huge cost to visibility with the community.

I for one will continue to fly in to Kuwait and drive across, until someone shows me ECM, decoys and other anti missile kit attached to their airliners.

robmac