PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR ~ PER = 18 hrs, says Qantas
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2016, 07:41
Xeque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At this stage, QANTAS is more likely to be indulging in some ‘kite flying’ to elicit interest in the route.
Frankly, 14 x 17½ hour flights a week to Western Australia, leaving the majority of passengers with a transfer followed by another 5-7 hour flight to reach Eastern Australian or New Zealand destinations would seem to be stretching credulity.
With much fanfare they’ve announced new seats in Economy Class – an extra inch of legroom. I’ve news for Mr Joyce. Several airlines have been offering 32 inches in Economy for many years. Some even offer 33 inches as standard.
Try as I might and even with the magic extra inch along with the Dreamliner ‘mood lighting’ and better cabin pressurisation, I cannot see QANTAS getting the loads they will need to make this route a success regardless of which class of seating you look at.
Wait for aircraft able to go the extra miles to reach Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne or even Auckland and Christchurch and QANTAS and other airlines may then be on to a winner.
But, and it is a very big BUT, those flights will be 20 hours or more. The bulk of passengers interested in taking the direct route will be those looking for package deals and the least expensive options. That means they will NOT be First or Business Class passengers and I’d be surprised if QANTAS could achieve reasonable load factors in these premier classes.
Which brings the not unimportant question of passenger comfort to the fore.
Anyone willingly subjecting themselves to the torture that is today’s long haul Economy Class standard for 17 to 20 hours needs their bumps read. There is only one solution that will ensure near full loads and that is one class, Premium Economy as standard on these ultra-long haul flights. More importantly, this accommodation should be offered at Economy Class rates with additional, value added services available to increase revenues.
If QANTAS, or any other long haul airline, really wants such routes to be an economic success then that is the only way to go. Otherwise, the majority of us will continue taking the regular routes with stops like Singapore or Dubai to let us get off, stretch our legs or book into a hotel for a shower, change of clothes and a night in a proper bed.
So, it will take 2 days instead of 1. So what?