PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reality of learning to fly and owning an aircraft
Old 13th Dec 2016, 06:19
Mickey Kaye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. As I live in NE England the flying clubs up here only seem to operate antiquated aircraft. Does anybody know where I can learn on an aircraft that are under ten years old?

I can’t think of anywhere. That's not totally the flying schools fault as no cost effective training aircraft have been made for 30 odd years.

2. In my days of flying it was all about VOR's and DME's Etc. If modern aircraft are fitted with GPS technology, surely training has changed to incorporate new navigation aids?

You would think so wouldn’t you. But no the test requirements are largely from the 2nd world war. Schools will teach GPS but you will not be tested on it. Again this isn’t really the schools fault.

3. Is it a pipe dream now to own and operate a private aircraft in the UK and particularly NE England. A group would be ideal but there are very few (if any) operating modern singles?

I certainly know of one

4. Anyone any idea on rough running/hourly operating costs for an SR20 or Piper Malibu in Northern England, say 100-150 hours per year flying. At first I would consider SR20 and maybe step up to Malibu when sufficient hours are accumulated. I am referring to things like hangarage, maintenance, fuel, insurance, fees for airways etc

I don’t but I know a group that operates a SR22 and is considering moving to a PA46. I could put you in the right direction if you drop us a pm