PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft crash at Blackbushe.
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2016, 19:35
Chronus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pittsextra
To blame single pilot operation is idiocy in the wider context.

Why does it draw a greater conclusion upon the motivations of the manufacturer than the competence of a 10k hour pilot who can't achieve an appropriate and stable approach?

Then nevermind the penny wise approach saving a suggested $60k on additional pilots, what about the few hundred in landing fees at Farnborough v Blackbushe?

Very sadly people err this is startling but before panning single pilot ops are we suggesting that multi crews don't crash...? The lesson, as is so often the case, is there are few new ways to get killed in aviation and getting the fundamentals right keeps you at least safe.
Is it better two have two engines and two pilots on ocean crossings for pax carrying flights or would one engine and one pilot suffice. Have their not been accidents and incidents involving pilot incapacitation where thanks to a second pilot on the flight deck disaster has been averted.
Yes of course we now all know that this particular accident is down to pilot error, but the surely the only way to learn something from it is to consider how it could have been averted. There is no absolute guarantee that had there been another pilot in the RH seat that it would not have happened, but surely the chances of it not happening would have been far greater. Chance of mechanical failure is accounted for with multi engines, why should this not be applied to human failure. How do most of us feel flying single engine, single pilot over wide expanses of water, high terrain, at night, in poor weather, etc. On my part , when I did, or should I say indulged my youthful indestructible adventurous spirit, which craved for that essential taste of adrenalin, some time ago now, I would admit with every sense at DEFCON 1 and a very tight sphincter all the way from start to finish of such a miserable voyage. For me two of everything in the air is the preferred option, unless of course am sitting comfortably on a get me out of DoDGE fast chair provided courtesy of the military.