PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For the thinker in GA! In defence of the employer
Old 13th Aug 2003, 14:22
Next Generation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next time you need some repairs done around your house maybe you could suggest to the apprentice who shows up that he could do it for nothing because the pay off will come tomorrow, maybe you could even write him a great reference or be his mate.
If you have the apprentice doing the work, he/she is probably doing the job for next to nothing anyway.

Eventually the apprentice will get his ticket, and then he/she can earn the money that he/she rightly deserves.

GA is the apprenticeship for Airlines. That's the way it is.

You can't convince me that a freshly trained CPL has the skill level commensurate with the level of payment that you suggest. I would in fact suggest that the CPL is only a licence to learn.

I certainly would not have been able to fly a Chieftan or Baron productively when I was fresh out of training.

The first single-engine "JOB" with low wages is actually still a learning ground, and once a confident level is achieved, the race is on for a twin-engine position, and it is back to learning again. After that, the search for satisfying and financially rewarding employment begins.

Most operators have heard all the promises from young or low-time pilots before:- I am here for the long run; I am not looking for a job in the airlines; I'd be happy to fly a Chieftan for the rest of my life; etc.

If an opportunity for advancement comes up, these same people are off in a flash, and they care little for the operator they leave behind who has to continue on.

For those odd individuals who do remain with one GA operator for any substantial period of time, their loyalty is usually rewarded with appropriate wages and conditions.

Whinging about what you think you ought to be paid will not increase your wages. A positive attitude might.

All of the guys I have met who have stayed positive through their time in GA have gone on to bigger and better things, but the moaners and complainers linger on in GA, become bitter and twisted, and then spend all their time on PPRUNE trying to drum up support from others with similar attitudes.

A wise old friend once told me "Your attitude determines your altitude."

Think about it.