PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eng Failure in a Crosswind
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2001, 13:38
Captain Airclues
Just another number

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The 747 certification did use a 7 knot crosswind to calculate Vmcg. The CAA and the FAA accept that the chances of an aircraft in line flying having an engine failure at exactly V1 are small enough for a higher croswind to be ignored. However, in the days when we used to carry out engine failures during base training, it was important for the training captain to be aware of this fact, as he knew that he was going to fail the engine at V1. He would therefore take the crosswind into account and incease the V1 accordingly. I know that a lot of people have strong views on this, so don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger.
I agree that a downwind failure just after rotate generally looks messy as the pilot transfers the rudder from one direction to the other.

Elevation

The 747 rudder has very powerful hydraulic controls, so I doubt that even the strongest crosswind would move it. The crosswind does however have a considerable effect on the fin, which is why rudder opposite to the crosswind (crosswind from the left = right rudder) is required.

Airclues

[ 16 November 2001: Message edited by: Captain Airclues ]