PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reality of learning to fly and owning an aircraft
Old 12th Dec 2016, 17:22
chris1001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reality of learning to fly and owning an aircraft

For many years now I have had an interest in aviation. I nearly obtained my PPL twenty years ago but let it slip due to other commitments.

I now have the time and money to learn again with the intention of maybe purchasing a modern single engine aircraft like a Cirrus SR20 or better still a Piper Mirage or equivalent to travel across to France.

There are many things that put me off hence this post to gather thoughts from others who fly privately and especially those who own aircraft.

1. As I live in NE England the flying clubs up here only seem to operate antiquated aircraft. Does anybody know where I can learn on an aircraft that are under ten years old?

2. In my days of flying it was all about VOR's and DME's Etc. If modern aircraft are fitted with GPS technology, surely training has changed to incorporate new navigation aids?

3. Is it a pipe dream now to own and operate a private aircraft in the UK and particularly NE England. A group would be ideal but there are very few (if any) operating modern singles?

3. Anyone any idea on rough running/hourly operating costs for an SR20 or Piper Malibu in Northern England, say 100-150 hours per year flying. At first I would consider SR20 and maybe step up to Malibu when sufficient hours are accumulated. I am referring to things like hangarage, maintenance, fuel, insurance, fees for airways etc.

Please no sarcastic answers like "if you have to ask you cant afford". I am genuinely looking at investing a lot of money but just want reassurance before it is wasted on what could just be a pipe dream due to exorbitant costs and too much legislation in todays world.

Looking forward to CONSTRUCTIVE replies.