PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 12th Dec 2016, 16:50
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
The data that FlightRadar24 captured appears to be exclusively from ADS-B squitters (albeit subject to the positional errors previously discussed).

It would have been interesting had FR24 also captured the additional EHS data that the flight would have been sending, such as TAS, IAS, heading, selected altitude, etc (although decoding those is a bit more challenging).
It looks like FR24 had six receivers near MDE that could provide multilateration location data on playback. Some of the other flights depicted on the playback animation seem to be MLAT only with occasional position shifts due to terrain and receiver geometry.

I think FR24 will default to displaying ADS-B data when it's available. I'm wondering if MLAT data for LMI2933 is available somewhere in the FR24 database for comparison to the transmitted ADS-B track.

Were the pilots of the RJ85 seeing a map display updated by radio navaids while the ADS-B was sending inertial only data?

Or, was the cockpit nav display also showing the wrong shifted position for some reason? The fact that the plane crashed so close to the VOR instead of the runway threshold makes me wonder.