PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greaser Landings
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2003, 12:19
The Stooge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greasers is not what it is all about as you said a stable approach is what you are looking for. Constant profile ie 3 to 1, constant attitude and power. Remember power + attitude = performance. No other way to fly an aircraft and as for power = rate of decent that is bull sh!t. Every one will argue for it and against it but tell me how do you fly an ILS? the aircraft doesnt know any different as to if it is on the ILS or not. As said what you are looking for is a constant aiming point and maintaining desired speed (correct Vref) from about 400 ft, if you are too fast you will float and use a lot of runway which can be valuable for stopping. Positive touch down is what you are looking for not crashing it down but positive. Let me tell you airlines take a dim view to trying to squeak it on because that says one of a few things and the major ones are you are not flying the correct Vref or Vfa for the weight and the bigger the a/c a few knots means a lot of momentum and you will generally have to use a lot of reverse and breaking which is not good for pax comfort and not to mention airframe/engine stress. Dont get me wrong if you need to use breaks/reverse USE IT. If landing on a wet runway you will always wnat a positive touchdown as 9 out of 10 times your touchdown speed will always equal your aquaplaining speed(Sq root of tyre pressure X 9). And otherwise a good landing comes from a good approach and good techniques and as a flight instructor that it what you have to be able to impart to your students. But first of all you have to have the process under controll as there is no point in teaching someone and you are finding it difficult yourself as that will promote no credibility. Otherwise work hard at it and over time the techniques will come to you. Not every landing will be a good one but as long as you employ the correct techniques every time. Good luck and I hope this has been of some help.