PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2016, 08:50
Tuck Mach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gnad,

My observations are commentary of a political malaise that infects Australia. I remove my own bias (generational) and am worried for the future of the country. I equally fear for Gen Y, millenials, and the aged. I do not worry for the war boom generation. They represent a large voter block, it follows political decisions will favour those voter blocks! We can debate the welfare spend another day, the demographics, revenue effects and tax base distortions another time! I do however think that expectations people have will be met when expectations meet fiscal reality. Hyman Minsky might well be quoted when it happens!

We are in furious agreement however over the pilot shortage. Australia is very expensive in all metrics. With stagnant real wages and declining living standards, the politicians may well laud increasing GDP, but they neglect to mention the per capita bit.( That bit is falling.)

As such, I think, given as others alluded to part 61, expensive training and low remuneration drove people away from the industry. Supply was further choked. Those remaining, qualified, experienced and denied a career, may yet find that strategically clever airlines, find their supply in Australia. I would be interested to see the Qantas, Virgin et al response were a substantial carrier set up a base here, or facilitate 'game changing' commuting contract. My hunch and hope is that we find out.