PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emotions on discharge!!!!
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2016, 18:24
VIProds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I applied for a resettlement coarse & was given a list of Radar/Computer Companies that participated in the scheme, Companies like ICT/ICL, Burrows, IBM & RCA (Fylingdales). By return of post, IBM asked me to go down to their London office for "Logic Tests" & an interview. At the end of the interview they offered me a six weeks Mainframe Computer Course & a job at the end of the course.

Because of my security clearance, I was the only engineer that was allowed in the Bank of England, H.M. Treasury & the Home Office (where I installed & maintained the very first Police National Computer). I was also the only engineer allowed into The Tomes Newspaper, this wasn't about security but about the very powerful Print Unions at the time.

We were asked to wear a dark suit, white shirt & plain tie as one moment you could be talking to a computer operatorthe next moment being called up to see the Deputy Governor or Lord Beaverbrook !!

The only regret that I had was sitting in a Central Line underground carriage looking at all the miserable faces & thinking it was only a few months ago that I was up at 70,000ft at Mach 0.93 doing TACAN Air to Air flight trials in a K1 Victor Tanker, but that is the only regret that I had leaving the RAF.