PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help with Lancaster crew photo
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2016, 18:09
Mick44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancaster ND388

In 2010 I set about tracing anyone that knew my mother.She served as a WAAF at RAF Walney Isle.To cut a long story short I did trace 2 WAAF's both of whom knew my mother personally,which was an amazing discovery.My mother passed away when I was only 5 years old so I knew little of her RAF days.
I met up with one of the ex WAAF's (May)and her daughter (Barbara)in 2011 and they told me how she had met a Sgt pilot at Walney who was then posted to RAF Hemswell (HCU) to convert to Lancasters.He was commissioned as a Pilot Officer whilst there and then posted to 100 Squadron. His name was Oscar Griffiths.
May and Griff stayed in touch and saw each other whenever they could and intended to marry at the wars end.But as you know from the sad story above Griff and his crew failed to return from a raid on Cologne on Christmas Eve 1944.
The whole story of May and Griff was told by Barbara in the excellent book 'The Warbirds of Walney" including more pictures of Griff and his crew.
The photograph of Griff and his crew mentioned on this forum is printed in the book,the same picture QP was looking for. May had been given a copy of the picture by Griff.However In the book and on the German website( Barbara had supplied a copy for it) it is captioned incorrectly as Griff's rear gunner was Flight Sergeant "Paddy" Nelson.He was replaced for that fateful op by F/S Frank Crompton.
I was fortunate to be able to visit Rheinburg War Cemetery this year whilst on holiday in Germany.Im so glad I did as May sadly passed away last month and the photographs I took and sent her were a great comfort to her. I still keep in touch with Barbara who like myself is keen to find anyone related to Griff's crew in ND388.

QP if you PM me I have information about your great uncle James Morgan that you will be most interested in.