PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maurice Kirk is in Africa
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2016, 14:53
FERRYAIR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cats_five
That aircraft has '69' on the fin, G-KURK was number 31 according to the website. However it doesn't list a '69' so maybe he is obfuscating yet again.
Maurice was assigned '31' for the Vintage Air Rally & had he remembered that the Organisers had sent him his Rally Number logos & Crete to Cape Town Stickers I am sure he would have affixed them, but as seems the case.... his memory is full of litigation stuff & he is constantly losing stuff he feels is less important.
The '69' was his Air Race Number from a Royal Aero Club Event that he had planned to participate in....... Numbers are given on merit in Air Racing so I guess there is a background story to why he was given '69' in much the same way as I was part of the '666' Royal Aero Club Air Race Entrant crew in a Grumman Cougar.... I have also been part of the '9' Royal Aero Club Air Race Entrant crew in a World Famous Cessna 310
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Originally Posted by Jonzarno
Fair enough: I'm happy to defer to your experience of his flying ability which is obviously greater than mine.

My comment was made in light of the several incidents he seems to have been unlucky enough to have suffered. I suppose that his ability to survive them is testament to what you say, whilst his bad luck in experiencing them in the first place is what caused me to say what I said.
Jonzarno,
Maurice's piloting skills are extremely good, that is different to me saying he is a good pilot....his decision making leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to wise decisions ;-)

I lost count of how many Night Landings he made before even getting to Crete ! I am aware he has made more Night Landings since Crete & don't doubt that the Sudan accident was caused by a Night Landing ( I have a theory on what happened, but will withold that theory at this time ).

My point is : if the chips are down, Maurice will survive.... if I was in what I considered an unsurvivable instance I would hand control to him in the vain hope his survival mantra includes anyone onboard.

Originally Posted by Meikleour
Ferryair: Being a "good handling pilot" and having good judgement and airmanship are definately not the same thing!
Meikleour,

Maurice has great piloting skills & has held commercial licences, as to whether he shows good airmanship & makes good decisions is something that is subjective.

Lets look at the DEBATE on his Navigational skills : Sam says he had a deficient Compass & no GPS.....That could well be true, however with a deficient compass & no GPS he has managed to get to every destination ( that in my opinion shows he is navigationally astute ).

Originally Posted by PDR1
The superior pilot uses his (or her) superior judgement and airmanship to avoid the need to exercise his (or her) superior stick & rudder skills.

At least that was what I was taught from day 1 of my flying training...

PDR
PDR1,

I agree with everything you say.....avoidance is better than cure..... sometimes we miss the avoidance signs and then move swiftly to a point where the cure is the only remaining option.

Been there, done that. Errors in judgement are human nature ! On a Flying Trip to India I had a female Co Pilot who during the sectors from Egypt through Saudi through Bahrain through Oman through Pakistan into India was acting as my P2 and at any point I could have been jailed for having a female with me who wasn't my 'significant other'
I guess they weren't looking for reasons to jail me, but the tables could have turned very quickly if I had ruffled feathers.

I honestly think Maurice doesn't help himself in times of conflict.