PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum age for acceptance as aussie cabin crew
Old 11th Dec 2016, 11:40
Slipspace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High Alpha
Hi everyone,

FL- I'm sorry to hijack your thread - I'll keep it brief - but you've asked a really good question which I can relate to and that's been bugging me.

So I'm just over 18 years old, and a guy, and I've been thinking about applying to the airlines as cabin crew, but the age factors been making me think.

First a bit about me; I like to think I'm quite good looking (I am biased), I'm friendly, outgoing and easy to get along with as well - apparently. For the past few months I've been working in a high endish clothes shop in BNE airport, getting experience in customer service and so on, and also experience in an airport and the weird hours that come with it.

I've also been involved with aviation for years, with extensive experience in the operations side of aviation - albeit mostly GA - and I've got multiple pilot licenses and an aviation medical. Admittedly my goal a bit further down the track is to be a RAAF pilot - and I've completed the selection process for it - and ultimately a pilot for the airlines.

I figured that cabin crew would be a great way to get some industry experience, make some connections - and would be an amazing job I'd love to do - all the while letting me mature to the point where I'm happy to sign away 12 years of my life to the RAAF.

However seeing some of the replies to FLs question, considering I'm younger than her daughter, would I be lucky just to make it to an AD, and is that realistically the farthest I can expect to go?

Cheers.
So much for keeping it brief.
Hey High Alpha,

Considering your experience, you are in a great position to apply to become cabin crew. Cobham are currently recruiting for QF 717 crew operating out of Brisvegas, and looking at your interests, experience, and personality, I think if you are ready you should apply.

Better yet, why not do a gap year in the RAAF as a crew attendant? You'll likely be a flight attendant out of RAAF AMB on the KC-30's, and that will get your foot in the door with the RAAF which can help progress your career towards being a potential officer or pilot.