PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unidentified french object.
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2003, 07:12
Aerohack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m sure I’ve seen photos of this machine before, but I can’t name it. Gastambide-Levavasseur? I don’t think so. Jules Gastambide was founder of the Antoinette company, builders of the eponymous pioneering monoplane which was named after his daughter, and Leon Levavasseur designed both the elegant aircraft and its watercooled V-8 engine. Antoinette went into liquidation in 1911 and I don't think the Gastambide/Levavasseur partnership endured. Its configuration suggests a design with endurance in mind, perhaps an east-west transatlantic attempt? The voluminous barrel of a fuselage has no windows, so lots of fuel maybe? The inadequate-looking undercarriage (even allowing for the aircraft here being propped up on a trestle in flying attitude, three-point take-offs and landings would seem essential for propeller ground clearance) might have been jettisonable, as was that of Pierre Levasseur’s (different spelling, no relation) PL.8 'Oiseau Blanc' in which Nungesser and Coli went missing in 1927 while trying to make the east-west crossing. There’s a fence-like device on the lower port wing that could be a control lock, but might equally be a mounting for an underwing skid for a gear-less landing. And I’m not 100% convinced that it’s French. True, there’s tri-colour vertical striping on the rudder, but — and this may just be imagination — I fancy I can see something on the middle (white?) stripe that could be the crest of the House of Savoy. Could even be American, though the military gent on the left looks more likely to be French or Italian.