PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2016, 05:31
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
My favourite is 25 knots xwind/5 knots tail on 27, basically all down the runway on 34 and they put you on 27 for arrivals even at night. I can count on one hand the number of into wind landings I have done in MEL.
That is a good point. How do you controllers feel about that and why does it happen?
Aviation is all about mitigating risks yet we have the above happening regularly.
As a controller do you guys think that a crew that is ending an 11 hour duty, has flown Melbourne -NZ- Melbourne and gets a gusty 25kt crosswind with 5 kts downwind on 27 at night is being exposed to a significantly greater risk of incident than if they landed into wind on 34? Or does the risk associated seem small and acceptable to you?
As a pilot I have accepted it in every instance except one where there were other factors at play on the flight deck , but each time it does make me think long and hard because my main driver is to expose my aircraft to as little risk as possible.
I hope it is clear that I am not whinging about controllers above, but rather interested to see any differences in how the two professions view the same situation.
Also, who decides which runway is used for landing and how?
Cheers