PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2016, 03:40
Slippery_Pete

Received 373 Likes on 70 Posts
Slippery, pigs @rse. The thread started with "is it industrial action or have all the good controllers gone?". Nice way to start a civil conversation.....

What you call "inefficiencies" is the acceptance rate which is set by external factors, including your companies. Go moan at them. They have the power to try to change things.

I have no idea who introduced the extra speed restrictions on the STARs - it certainly wasn't the line controllers as it reduces flexibility for everyone.
Hi Penquin. The general gist of this thread has been pro-controller. If it was a controller issue, we'd have ridiculous delays at all airports, not just one. We aren't anti-controller.

The external factors? Can you please list them - because we don't understand. That's what the thread is about. And trust me, my airline is pissing away millions in ever increased delays and slow downs into Melbourne. If they had ANY ability to change this, they'd have done it because they are completely driven by bottom line and nothing else. Does our CEO just ring up and ask for 50 more movements an hour and it'll happen? I don't think so.

So if speed restrictions also make ATC's job more difficult, then
a) why aren't ATC jumping up and down about it to management
b) why don't you cancel them whenever you can. It's a constant theme on the radio all the time - Request track shortening or speed waiver - Bam, instantly approved. If it can be approved immediately (or without talking to another controller), then why do we have to ask for it?

We want to learn why the system is so slow when it's so fast everywhere else.