PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2016, 21:41
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slippery_Pete
Bollocks.

1. Your arguments are departure based. None of this explains why 09 can't be used only for arrivals. Ie at least turboprops from the south and west.

2. QF can be directed to exit 16 at the high speed like every one else to keep Echo free for taxiing aircraft. Straw man argument.

3. Doesn't explain why you suddenly won't use 27 when there's a couple of knots downwind.

I've been told they won't do simultaneous ops on Rwy 09 and 16/34 because the tower position and height doesn't allow the tower controller to monitor both flight paths and runways. Or is that just another excuse?

Without a doubt the most inefficient traffic flow in Australia. Note I didn't say the most inefficient ATC, I guess they're just working within the constraints and procedures they are given.

Something needs to change.
Also, if I may add to this, you contend that departures off 09 would create a queue trying to cross 16/34 as they taxi for the threshold of 09.

Aircraft currently arriving on 27 while 16 or 34 is in use also have to cross 16/34 after landing. How is this any different? You don't see a "queue" trying to cross from the other direction.

Seriously guys you really need to do some liaison visits to LHR or LAX or even DXB to see how to move aircraft around in a busy environment.

While you guys sweat the small sh1t. Like demanding a read back of "Line up and WAIT" or "Taxi to HOLDING POINT XY". You seem to have no idea whatsoever when it comes to the efficient movement of airframes when you compare the operations of MEL in particular, and every other Australian capital city airport more generally.

I know your only working within the constraints of the rules in this country so it's not entirely your fault. The problem is the rules have been added to over many years by every controller who has a thought bubble about yet another layer of safety, added to someone else's, this is the way I do it, to another's just a bit more fat for mum and the kids. These redundant layers then become law and the whole system falls down under the weight of its own bureaucracy.

Last edited by IsDon; 10th Dec 2016 at 21:58.