PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2016, 21:38
Berealgetreal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the problem is the criteria for issuing the ATIS to me. Written by people that know nothing about flying.

What happens on final approach at Ballina and the wind changes? If it's a tailwind the Pilot Monitoring will be watching it on the FMC and telling the Pilot Flying any pertinent changes with a "less is more approach" (only tell me if it goes above X). Ultimately a picture paints a 1000 words and we just look out the window and have the information we need.

Go slow? Quite the opposite in fact.

Last 5 years has seen the introduction of COBT's, 230kts, 185kts, 160kts and feeder fix times, yet into Melbourne it seems to be actually getting harder. I think Sydney and Brisbane have improved.

The best is an arrival at night with all the associated delays with hardly another aircraft in the sky and one person covering all frequencies. Tell me thats not about staffing levels and KPI's!

Air Services look after their needs as any business does and its up to the airlines to go into bat for their mob which clearly isn't happening or working.

One question: Why do we have to ask for speed waivers or track shortening if either or both are available? We don't like wasting fuel and being late.