PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Drone Controllers
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2016, 18:26
pilotmike

Received 73 Likes on 21 Posts
terry holloway asks indignantly, indeed "rants", in his own words:
why is it that drone controllers are sitting in a portacabin wearing a flying suit adorned by "RAF issued drone pilot wings" which look like the real thing, notwithstanding that they have never flown an aeroplane. One needs to be very sharp eyed to tell the difference between RAF pilot wings and RAF Drone controller wings!
This is an impersonation rant!
Yet he provides his own thoughts and justifications in relation to another Walt who has strong connections with his employment at at Marshall:
Re the wings, I really couldn't make them out and I really do need to see a better photo! The chum (who I mentioned in the earlier post about RN wings) made the point that as an ex fleet air arm pilot he and others were outraged that TCT had been given Navy wings and thus I assumed that is what is on her left breast. If they were awarded to her she is entitled, of course, to wear them. Like many others I believe such wings should be properly earned, but if the services decide to give them out in such a way that's really up to them.
Once another contributor kindly helped out with a very clear picture of same, with "There you go Terry. A clear image of "Walt-wings".":
That could not be clearer. Thank you! Pre 1952 (wire?) wings, which predate her. Presumably a talisman which she referred to in a statement. The MoD ceremonial office should be able to explain the legal position on wearing historic insignia. Personally I wouldn't wear something (like those wings) which could lead to criticism by others, but dressed like that she is hardly posing as an RAF pilot. Those who go to the Goodwood meetings every year, and elsewhere, dressed in the full modern uniform with wings are rather more guilty of being imposters. There is a post elsewhere on Prune about uniforms and surpriseingly that has attracted little comment, whereas those who seek to continue to vilify TCT on this thread appear to be eager to unearth anything - however remote - which will sustain their unkind campaign, which many find unpleasant and unnecessary. As I said when I first joined this thread hasn't she suffered enough?
At least the RAF drone pilots were wearing the wings, as presented to them by the RAF, for doing their jobs!

Perhaps the thread starter should refrain from criticising them for such outrageous behaviour - blatantly wearing the wings bestowed upon them by the RAF - and should go easy on them, as surely they've suffered enough.