PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2016, 15:34
terry holloway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If she sought to impersonate an RAF pilot, she would have worn the proper full size wings, and not an insignia (set of mess kit wings which would never have been worn on a flying suit), that was over 60 years old!
I give up in trying to argue ......!
Like others I cannot and will accept impersonation by people in uniform, but in terms of the wings I do not accept that she was attempting to decieve. Why would she need or want to?
We could start a new thread elsewhere about drone controllers sitting in a poracsbin wearing a flying suit adorned by "RAF issued drone pilot wings" which look like the real thing, notwithstanding that they have never flown an aeroplane. One needs to be very sharp eyed to tell the difference!

Originally Posted by JW411
It is not a brooch. It is an official RAF pilot's brevet as designed to be worn by a qualified RAF pilot on his/her No.5 mess kit jacket.

I was awarded my wings in 1962 after two years of bloody hard work and I wore them proudly on my various RAF uniforms until I left the RAF in 1979. I never wore them again but wore other employers' wings as appropriate for the next 26 years.

I really object to seeing someone wearing RAF wings when they are not entitled.

I simply cannot understand how you can refer to them as a brooch. You have let yourself down badly in my estimation.
Brooch was in inverted commas to make the point. They are hardly current wings!