PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC - Today's Telegraph
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2003, 05:04
Mr C Hinecap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different, Mr Robin, just different.

'And I love all this stuff about the Army being clueless when it comes to complex weapon systems and logistics etc - because the Army just doesn't have any missiles or complex weapon systems at all does it? I suppose you chaps think that the log chain for Harrier is so much harder than even a single Artillery Regiment? No idea, have you?'

It is different, Mr Robin - VERY different. The Army are not clueless, just deal in different 'stuff' at the moment. Whether you agree or not, the RAF has been dealing in complex weapons platforms for some time now, whether successfully or not. In relative terms, the Army has not. As the Army becomes more reliant upon more complex weapons the RAF becomes more 'expeditionary'. Thus, given the right circumstances, we could actually learn something useful from each other - a wacky concept indeed! Imagine - SHARING things! Wow!

A couple of small examples of the above:

NI, last century. Blue Jobs want to put top shiny new camera thingy into rotary thing. Army Engineer positions mounts in Lynx and decrees that holes should be drilled here, here and here. 'What about the integrity of the air frame?' pipes up Blue Job. 'I'm a f&*king tank engineer by trade - put the holes there' was the reply.

Big exercise, Middle East, before GWII. Blue Job stuff put in ISOs marked CRANE LIFT ONLY, cos it might break if tilted. Brown Jobs put kit on Drops Trucks, tip it at 45 degrees 8 times before bits are delivered to sqn. B(_)gger!

Just different Mr Robin.

Sorry - I get a bit emotional - a loggy that is interested in the flying stuff? I keep it quiet! You ain't seen me - roit?