PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum age for acceptance as aussie cabin crew
Old 9th Dec 2016, 23:32
Fru1tl00p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minimum age for acceptance as aussie cabin crew

Hi can anyone tell me what Australian airlines are looking for in cabin crew andidates?

My daughter is naturally attractive (no I'm not biased). She is very friendly, outgoing and easy to get on with. She is 18½ but she has 3 years hospitality experience working as barrista, waitress, bar assistant, gaming assistant and function coordination and running. She often works within large functions solo so maturity and being able to handle responsibility is not a problem.

She did a year long traineeship during school and has a cert 2 & 3 in hospitality, an rsa, first aid, swimming competency cert, and current passport, so everything she needs to apply is ready.

She has been successful in getting through to the assessment days this year with Qantaslink, Virgin, Jetstar and Tigerair which she was thrilled with. She had also gone through to the interview stage but has not progressed through to reference checks with any of them. She participates well during the assessment days and is neither the quiet or shy candidate or the over the top dominant one so she is very frustrated with the lack of feedback the airlines offer.

I think she is even more frustrated because a friend of hers from high school went through an assessment day with her and was lucky to be recruited (her mother works for same airline also) so I feel maybe this helped her as she is close to the same age, doesn't have anything other than McDonald's experience (but she did put a false reference and job experience down) and she didn't perform well at all during the assessment day.

I keep saying to my daughter that it's possibly her age and I understand they can't "say" she's too young and that's why she's isn't accepted further but why do they bother putting her through to assessment days and interviews if they have no intention on hiring the young ones. Why not just toss the application the moment they see her age.

Can anyone tell me if she is too young in the eyes of recruiters as she can't work out what she's doing wrong or poorly in and with no feedback she's very disillusioned.

Any info is appreciated!