PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Goldman Sachs vs Legacy carrier
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2016, 22:24
Kinetic II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goldman Sachs vs Legacy carrier

So I used the search function. Couldn't find a thread quite like this so here goes:

I'm from the Middle East. I've been fortunate enough to secure an offer from a big bank as well as a legacy carrier for their fully sponsored scheme. Both jobs would allow me to stay in the region. As you can probably imagine, I'm in a huge dilemma right now as to which one to go for.

Flying would be a no brainer, but looking at how the "race to the bottom" has started in some parts of aviation, I dread to think what the working conditions would be like 40 years down the line. On the other hand, it's a fully sponsored scheme at a reputable airline which gives me some hope for the future.

Investment Banking offers a great career progression and pays well, but I'm pretty sure I'll find the grass greener at some point in the future. Plus in the part of the world I reside, there is no LCC hiring pilots straight out of flying schools like crazy which seems to be the case in the EU. Not having access to such LCCs means a lack of entry-level flying gigs. This makes me think it's the only real opportunity where I can break into airline flying.

What do you think? Is the flying career that worth it?