PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 9th Dec 2016, 19:37
A0283

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update 5 - Impact and breakup sequence

@Evanelpus -
Got a link?
I caught your question when catching up on reading the posts. Do not have the link immediately available I am afraid.

I have seen 2 videos made when circling the southern and northern side of the crashsite.

The first video, available early on, was shown on a website which showed a tv show named "JG". On this low quality video the horizontal and vertical tail are shown white. Which made it look like a wing or piece of tail.

The second video was from a spanish/portuguese language website and dated I think from december 1st (I found it december 7th). This video clearly shows the horizontal and vertical tail and the colored lines livery. The leading edge of the vertical tail is pointing down. The horizontal tail is still connected.

One of the photos that I found earlier, viewpoint from below, clearly shows the tailspeedbrake folded. Part of the horizontal tail (left hand half) is clearly visible higher up and behind it.

What is striking is that there is as far as I know no trace of the cockpit section and forward fuselage section. My impression is that it is more probable that these can be found near the main wreckage. But it is not impossible that it could be found on the initial impact side. All POB have of course been accounted for. So people on location and the investigation will know.

What strikes me too is that both recorders have been found in the first days, but no mentioned has been made of their contents at all. You hope of course that they were both switched ON and operating. What you would have expected is a general statement that confirmed that the plane ran out of fuel.

Based on the publicly available information you also begin to wonder if the crew had issued a warning to crew and passengers at some stage. The available witness testimony appears to suggest that POB were very surprised when the lights went out. Hence their reaction. You almost get a 'cognitive dissonance at play' feeling of how the cockpit crew would have perceived possible low fuel warnings. You would need both CVR and FDR information to substantiate that. But if found true it will become one of the most exceptional examples of CD.