PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2016, 16:56
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
First of all, Paul, sincere congratulations. You deserve what you’ve achieved

You really applied yourself, never gave up and now have made the opportunity to get on with the job you’ve always dreamt of.
Now you’ll need all of the qualities you’ve shown to continue and progress in the business.

There’ll be times when you get fed up of not enough time at home with the family.
There’ll be times when you’re so tired you’ll wonder which way is up.
You’ll get fed up of the times when, every 6 months, someone tries to pull your skills apart, tries to find fault with your flying and yet still you’ll get through with the same enthusiasm you’ve obviously always shown.
There’ll be times when you wonder if you’re really valued when, once again, salaries are frozen to “help the company get through the downturn”. You just tighten your financial belt and try and ride it as you’ve always done. It usually sorts itself in the end.
As you get older, these irritations will seem to be more important. Your medical will eventually show signs of letting you down and yet, still, you’ll get your head down and cope.
All these travails will reveal themselves in your coming career. Be ready for them and devise mechanisms and a health regime to carry you through.

Flying is the best career in the world; never forget that when it gets tough or when some sh*t tries to spoil it.
Plan your career from now on with these thoughts in mind and you'll have a wonderful, rewarding time ahead.

I’m just coming to the end after 57 years as a professional pilot. I don’t regret a minute of it.