PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2016, 16:43
JBay1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laser surgery

Hi all,

This thread is a goldmine of information and thanks to all for their contributions.

My question is whether or not aircrew applicants who have had LASIK eye surgery (as opposed to PRK or LASEK) are still disqualified from enlisting?

A page from DFR's 'Refractive Surgery Guide to Applicants' includes the comment that "LASIK is not an accepted procedure for Aircrew". I believe that document (copy attached) was created in 2012, but I don't know if things have changed since then. Both the USAF and RAF have changed their procedures to allow LASIK, but it isn't clear if the ADF have.

Back on page 159, FlyLowFlySlow posted a comment that: "the Aircrew Visual Requirements have just changed (this week in fact!) so this may work in your favour. I don't have a link or a copy of these new standards though unfortunately." It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I'm hoping these changes might lift the ban on LASIK (assuming it's still there).

I am at the early stages of the process, having completed my YOU session with the next stage being Additional Testing. It seems to me that the LASIK issue will be an effective showstopper for my application, no matter what preparation I undertake from here on in.

If anyone has any useful info on any of the above, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks you.
Attached Files