PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why don't we buy our military aircraft from....
Old 9th Dec 2016, 15:13
Cpt_Pugwash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Precisely. It is (allegedly) the way MoD learns from experience. The rule also says you prepare the PPE around 2 years after ISD, by which time anyone who knows anything about the project is long gone. Not once did I get any feedback about a PPE."

The point I was trying to make is that PMs know that a PPE is required, and the good ones make provision for it right at the outset, allocating resources for data collection,storage and evaluation, as the project progresses, so that all the information needed to compile the report is available, even when personnel have changed. Sadly, good PMs are few and far between, since the training and development which used to take place no longer happens and procurement posts are seen as stepping stones to higher things.

One other thing, I have seen some good PPEs and a lot of useless ones, clearly cobbled together at the last minute by people who didn't know the project. One of the good ones was drawn to the attention of a particular PM, a graduate, new in post and keen to make his mark. He discounted the previous projects PPE as not relevant, so just a touch of Schadenfreude when his project didn't make the first hurdle, for a reason outlined in that earlier PPE.

Last edited by Cpt_Pugwash; 9th Dec 2016 at 15:31.