PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greens want to Ban over flights of Melbourne
Old 9th Dec 2016, 14:58
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Since 2004 number of residents in Municipality of Melbourne (extends from docklands to Jolimont) has risen from estimated 75000 to 137000.
http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Site...eport-2015.pdf

The above report estimates that on a typical weekday 800,000 folk are present in Melbourne living working or hanging out..

Some personal observations....
I occasionally stay in a low rise flat (no double glazing) in East Melbourne and R44 traffic have regularly caught my attention in the morning.

In the past month I've visited Royal Melbourne Hospital and was happy to witness HEMS landings on three out of four visits.

Apart from the occasions as a back seat passenger, I've seen just one landing on the Yarra in the 7 years I've been back in oz.

Helicopters seem to be more noticeable in Melbourne than London, perhaps as London background noise at street level is higher?

Also Melbourne is a more open air society (think of parks and barbies) compared to London or New York.
A 60 something couple I know gave up on living in a high rise near Southbank two years ago as they could not bear the noise of garbage trucks collecting from businesses in early hours, where the use of large metal bins is common.

LA accepts the noise of media helicopters. (I was once in the air with 8 other media helicopters in LA) but tinsel town more than any society, applaudes the notion of 5 minutes of fame so they are a special case.

This week Victoria State Government committed to funding three new Police helicopters and a new fixed wing.

Last time I looked, Victoria, per capita, has far fewer helicopters in emergency services role compared to the UK or USA.

Curiously Victorian Police helicopters seem to rarely loiter, at least compared to LA or Met Police.

The number of stabilised camera systems in Australia has doubled in recent years.

So it seems likly there will be an increase in helicopter movements overhead a growing city which is proud of the claim of being the most livable city in the world.

Mickjoebill