View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2016, 15:09
VP959

The "access to the EU market" thing is deeply misunderstood by some, I believe.

If you are a country outside the EU that wishes to buy goods or services from the EU then you will still be in the same position as before - the EU is most definitely not going to stop supplying a market outside of the EU if it can help it. This is the situation that exists at the moment with dozens of countries from outside the EU that buy EU goods and services - we will just become another one of those.

When it comes to selling goods or services into the EU, then the same rules apply as in every other market or trading circumstance. If the goods and services you wish to sell are fairly priced and in demand in the EU, then why would the EU not allow you to sell?

The fly in the ointment is where the EU adopt protectionist trade tariffs, or excessive duties, in order to artificially support higher cost manufacturers and suppliers within the EU. They do this with China, to protect the German silicon solar panel manufacturing capability, but it's not a sensible long term strategy, as the rest of the world would rather buy from China at a much reduced price, so the German market for their higher priced goods is restricted to being mainly within the EU, which doesn't allow them to expand and artificially restricts their market.

The whole "restrictions of free trade" thing inevitably ends up distorting the market and producing effects and impacts that weren't foreseen when the restrictive tariffs were imposed, and a lot of people are now beginning to understand that, in a truly global market, those states that impose protectionist tariffs rarely achieve more than a short term benefit, with an overall longer term loss.

The bottom line is that I'm not the slightest bit worried about not being inside the EU free market. The worst will be a short period when the EU behaves idiotically, and gets itself in a worse state that its in now, and the most probable outcome will be an overall UK market that is bigger and far, far more flexible than we have under the restrictions imposed by the EU.

Of course there will be some upsets along the way, there will be idiots that act emotionally, rather than pragmatically, and I'm certain that some of that spite will cause us short term pain. Equally, I think we will have a lot more opportunities, IF we gear up in time and adopt the right approach to our new "freedom to trade with anyone, under our own judgement" status.