PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulated engine failure after takeoff (SE aeroplanes)
Old 9th Dec 2016, 09:14
s4ex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While my doing PPL, we had a 1000m RWY, and instructurs would make a Simulated EFATO at pretty low height (provided enough RWY still remaining) and could allow the airplane be brought back to the runway, as long as the student could cope with it, or otherwise execute Go-Around. The other variation was EFATO at ~ 300-400 feet (just before turn to crosswind), and since we had a field straigh ahead, it was required to show how You'd cope with it but at around 150-200 G/A followed. The 3rd variation, which might not be considered EFATO, was anywhere else in the circuit, where You had to do full procedure and make the runway (or admit that You can't make it and explain what is the reason)

I had flown with several instructors during my training, and late in the studies (around 45 hours), one of the instructors whom I flew for the first time with, did the one with RWY still remaining (I think it was following an early G/A, because I remember we had plenty of RWY and around 40-50 feet high). I instinctively put the nose down (it was in my head, and I rehearsed the procedure in the briefing with another instructor just a couple of days prior to that), and seemed to cope with situation correctly. Don't really recall if I actually put the airplane on the runway, or we did a Go-Around, after that he said that one important thing I forgot - extend full flaps. No other instructur told me that before. I.e. logically if You have time and height for that, yes, but not when You are tenth of feed above the ground. My argument was that there was sufficient runway left and height above the ground was low - hense no time for this. He said that it would still steepen the decend and allowed to make a shorter runway. I didn't get into more arguments about it with him, but it seemed risky, as having the extension of flaps in such a critical moment impacting the flightpath increase possibility of mishandling.

Later on, In the briefing room we usually had several instructors around, so I asked this question to others, whether full flaps was a part of procedure for low-height EFATO, there was no unified conclusion... Some said, it could make the distance over the ground shorter, others, said that it would be difficult to cope with the baloon resulting from flaps extension in such situation, and that baloon could actually make the distance even longer. It was suggested that It's up to the PIC to decide whether flaps are required or not depending on situation. Could be interesting to hear Your opinions on that.