PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aircraft landing at the wrong airfield
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2016, 06:10
cooperplace

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Capot
Well thanks for that, but Capt Airclues' edit makes it even more authoritative. But I'm in no position to laugh...

On route from Le Touquet to Nice one day long ago I decided to land asap in the face of a terrific squall line in front; I chose Orange from my 1:500,000 map, looked them up, changed the crystal (it was an ex-RAF trainer) and approached straight-in in very heavy rain and gusts. Having just had clearance to land I assumed that the red flares were for someone else. It was Orange Military, about 4 miles west of the coivil airport, I think, with a more or less parallel runway.

Released from military jail later that day I continued to Nice, then Urbe. There I had a radio failure, and was cleared next morning to fly non-radio at 1000ft to Ciampino, approach straight in and land, as soon as I got a green from the tower. So I flew across Rome to what I guessed was Ciampino on my 1:500,000 map; it and Fuimicino were very close with one name above and one below. Landing at Ciampino I crossed the threshold only to see a B707 taking off across my bows towards the west. So I turned left rapidly and flew at 100ft to Ciampino, landing some 5-10 minutes later. It seemed that no-one noticed.

I claim the record. Twice in 2 days.
fantastic, but only thrown in the clink once in two days? People have bettered that!