PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2016, 02:34
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Undercut how ? The company offers employment for x amount and you accept that or you don't. It's the company that set remuneration. The operation wasn't replacing an already existing operation, no picket line was crossed, and no ban was in effect. I am not sure who you think is currently in the top 30 senior positions at VA (VB has been gone almost 6 years) but in fact a good number there now came from Turboprop operations in Australia. A faint but distinct whiff of sour grapes here.
If you trace back the parlous state of pilot wages in Australia there was a watershed moment that set the path forward of low pay and low quality, paid endorsements. It was with the initial cadre of Virgin Blue pilots. Gosh I'm glad I don't know what their low price was but I'd expect these guys may have worked for a less!

Perhaps all is well now, you've taken 15 years of wage growth to get paid what what incumbent domestic and international pilots were paid in 2001.

I don't mind offending anybody here but a peasant low-cost attitude is not going to help anybody if there is a manifestation of a pilot shortage regionally. Pilots like morno feel 300,000 USD is a lot of money, it's just not for what you are liable for and the protections you will see if something goes wrong in a far away land.