PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maurice Kirk is in Africa
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2016, 21:21
Legalapproach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetblu

A Pro Bono Lawyer would still be a legally qualified lawyer. As it happens, MK telephoned me a couple of years ago out of the blue regarding his machine gun case. I offered to look at it Pro Bono and give him an opinion. I heard no more from him.

If he could afford the entry fee for the Africa run he could afford to instruct a lawyer. It would have been a fraction of that cost. In my career I have come across a number of people who have represented themselves or gone to McKenzie friends. Many of them were people who could have afforded proper representation and by not getting such they ended up losing their cases and/or far more out of pocket than had they been properly represented. Sometimes the problem is that they are people who do not accept the (correct) advice they are given because they know better. Earlier this year I represented an individual in the Court of Appeal who had represented himself at trial. I did so Pro Bono because I believed that had he had professional representation he would have had a good chance of winning. The problem was that he took numerous bad points and the not the good ones that were in his favour. He had already served a prison sentence by the time he got to the appeal court

LA