PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 dual engine failure scenario
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2016, 11:52
aurel90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A320 dual engine failure scenario

Hello dear colleagues,

Few days ago I saw the movie Sully which is quite good by the way, a scenario came in my mind and I would like to have your impressions about it, so here we are :

CAVOK weather departure from a 1800m Rwy, (no airport nor lake/river nearby), during climb out around 3500 ft dual eng fail due to birds strike (both damage no relight possible).

At that stage initially RAT will extend and you'll be elec emerg config with G+Y hyd system unusable.

Obviously the only option to avoid a forced landing is to go back on the opposite runway where you just took off, but according to QRH you need more than 2000m to land. Normal and alternate braking system are inop and you just have 7 applications on Yellow accumulators in order to land which is not enough.

Personally I was thinking about switching APU ON followed by Y elec pump ON which permit to recover Y HYD sys and upgrade your braking sys from accumulators pressure to alternate braking or may be even normal braking via PTU and drastically reduced the landing distance.

Would it work ? Is Y elec pump powerful enough to drive PTU ?

What would you do ?

Airbus QRH ENG DUAL FAILURE doesn't mention about switching ON Y elec pump, I think that's because the checklist consider only 2 options after a dual eng failure, force landing or ditching, airbus is not talking about a possible return on a runway from what I saw in the books.

I know that scenario is quite unlikely but I think it can be a good opportunity for us to go a bit deeper into the A320 systems.

I just hope that will not give bad ideas to a TRE reading this topic for a sim check !

Thanks for your help and happy landings