PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helijet banned by TC from landing S-76Cs at certain B.C. hospitals
Old 8th Dec 2016, 02:00
SARBlade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malabo asked:
Helijet now approved for operations to hostile congested helipads with the C+. Anybody know what this new STC they have is all about?
I believe the issue with landing at these Helipads stems from TC organizing TC regulated helipads into H1, H2, and H3. In most cases where Helijet operates, the helipad is deemed H1. An H1 pad then for the most part requires a CAT A helicopter to operate to and from it. There was no CAT A certification for the S76C+ used by Helijet's air ambulance to fly to these hospitals in congested areas. Now having said that, Helijet, was operating well within the power envelope to meet what TC wanted, however, the S76C+ required other components to be certified to CAT A, not just the performance. From what I understand, Helijet had to seek an STC to operate the helicopter within the performance category of CAT A without the other components such as dual RADALT display, lower bubble window, a ratcheting collective (whatever that is, lol), etc. They required Sikorsky to provide them with the performance charts and profiles of CAT A to allow them to proceed without the province having to resort to an AW139! Someone from Helijet can better explain this but I think that is essentially the issue. I hope that clarifies it a bit.