PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2016, 00:06
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Quote:
The seniority argument is so short sighted and perpetuated by those that benefit from it.
And the argument to remove it is perpetuated by those who would benefit from it.

Both NZ and AUS are desirable places to live... so much so, that many have halved their expat salaries just to move home.

Without Seniority, Commands would go to those who have held them overseas or Management stooges with more st on their noses than in my kids diaper.

Yea, it's a bit of a hit to the ego for those who took quick Commands in the ME/Asia to start at the bottom back home... but then, you knew that when leaving. Perhaps the grass wasn't greener? I for one am happy waiting in line rather than racing off to the 3rd world chasing quick progression.

And lets be honest here... no Airlines that I'm aware of, in NZ or AUS, promote solely on seniority. If you can't chin the bar, you don't get promoted.
ElZilcho is online now Report Post Quick reply to this message

People are having trouble connecting the dots so to get an idea of how seniority can protect well paid, professional aviators, I propose this question.

What would have the initial pilots who came to Virgin Blue accepted if a direct entry command was available at Qantas or Ansett 15 years ago? Pay for a training captain was beyond 200K. According to an ex-VB guy he was on 110k and he may have included his superannuation in that figure, and DTA and the soap and pad and pencils he pinched from the hotel and sold on ebay.

Have a think yoose guys. Actually, can some of the VB pilots here go and ask their senior pilots what their price was?