PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So close, yet so far: Class 1 medical, Crohns Disease & eyesight
Old 7th Dec 2016, 22:47
AlexJT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone on here heard this before?

The CAA have apparently told AME'S performing Class 1 initials that they can't declare individuals as unfit, only refer them to the CAA? Basically you can't declare someone who hasn't held a medical yet as unfit.

I was told on the day of my examination that I had failed (unfit) due to amblyopia and was told the process to appeal. I then contacted the CAA in regard to appealing and also in regard to gaining some more info about eyesight requirements (considering I was extremely close to the limit). I was then told by the CAA (via email) that I couldn't appeal the decision and that I needed to get back in contact with my AME as my medical hadn't been denied, but deferred (deferred, not referred).. so after contacting the AME admin office, I was told that the Dr required some more info in regard to my prescription (visual acuities etc), to which I sent them over the same day. Weeks later, and I mean weeks, after not hearing anything and a lot of chasing phone calls, I managed to finally speak to the chief AME, who says that there has been a lot of confusion since 2014 (even by people at the CAA) in regard to Class 1 initials being referred to the CAA. He then told me he has logged back into the system to change my result to 'unfit' as opposed to 'referred' so that I can now appeal the decision via the CAA. All in all, I've basically sat about for near on 5 weeks doing nothing and now I have to draw up an appeal letter to the CAA.