PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class E airspace & gliders.
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2016, 21:53
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. Germany and Class E around a medium busy ILS airport. I wonder how many of these young bucks flying their shiny jets look outside that much. We all know they should, but.....They have 150hrs spam can stuff and then are hammered in the sim with IFR SOP's. LoCo cockpits now, commonly, have a total of 6 years in them. I wonder if they really understand the threats of Class E. If you are trailing a glider, you in a shallow descent with an attitude of zero degrees & 210kts and the glider in nearly level flight at 80kts, they will be invisible to you. They are the VFR traffic avoiding you by sight, but you are the shark coming from their 6. They have a transponder, may be, but it's not on. They have a radio, but are not talking to ATC. I'm sorry, but how daft it that? If an EU official is downed tomorrow the rules will change the next day.
The whole public, when the know the facts, will throw their hands up in a "how could this be allowed to happen" moment. I get a €50 in France for doing 5kms over the limit. Safety? Bollox. I hit a glider up the jacksie............ because he was invisible but could have been seen, electronically. What then?
TEM tells me it's time to change the rules. Either no Class E around IFR radar airports, or change Class E rules. It's an accident waiting to happen, AND it is easily preventable. Guys will scream about transponders, but why not the minimum of a radio just to warn guys where you are. We do it over Africa, we do it on N.Atlantic and other remote areas. We tell guys we are around. It is a self-preservation thing. Why not with gliders?
And I fly recreationally as well as jets, light a/c & paragliders. In the latter we are warned to keep the hell away from any powered a/c airfield. Good advice because we don't; have the manoeuvrability if a sail plane: but one thing for all gliders is lift. You hate to lose it and if you see the perfect source & trigger it is like a moth to a flame. I'm on the side of safe skies for everyone, but I sense from the replies there is not a universal strongly supported case for change. Surprising. It is still an open debate. OK, but let us have that debate and analyse the merits of both sides. Let us NOT just bumble along hoping it'll be alright.

One thing: I suspect these replies come from above average aviators who are diligent about their professional & pleasure flying. One thing I was told many years ago, and i agree with; a weakness inherent in those of above average ability and thought is that they think they are average. They mix with and debate at their own level. It's not easy to appreciate there are some puppets out there. That's not arrogance, just..... How old are the rules of todays airspace? When were they last reviewed? And are they in tune with todays environment?

Last edited by RAT 5; 7th Dec 2016 at 22:41.